Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Thanks Brendan

My wife and I have had the pleasure of spending the last three and a half weeks with our son and grandson while our daughter-in-law has been called to a military assignment. And the last few weeks have been glorious for this old man. I have gotten to know my son in ways that I have never experienced before. I have watched him in awe as he fathers his son. I have even caught myself calling him "daddy". David will always be my son but suddenly he has become daddy. I watch as he plays with Brendan and am amazed at his enegry, David's that is. I watch as he teaches Brendan about life. David is very good at the discipline thing. David doen't believe in corporal punishment and so far he doesn't need it. I watch as Brendan reacts to the firmness in Daddy's voice. I watch as Brendan begins to test the limits with daddy. And daddy doen't back down. David is a GREAT daddy. My love for my son has deepened as I have watched him grow into fatherhood.

Then there is Brendan. I love that little ball of energy more than I can express. We walk together every morning that I am home and we have some interesting talks. I spend a lot of time telling Brendan how much I love him and he usually responds by talking about the big tractors, the birds or the flowers. It seems that we have two different conversations going on but I really believe that Brendan is communicating back to me in "his words", for you see these are words that pops! talks about on our morning walks. He looks at me at times and in those big wonderful eyes I see him saying, "pops! I love you". He melts my heart every morning when I ask him if he wants to go outside and he gets excited and holds his arms out for pops! to take him. There are mornings when we walk that tears stream down my face when I talk with Brendan (as they are now), not because I am sad but because this little fellow has filled me with such joy and love. I can't adequately describe how he has made me fill. Maybe I should quit trying and just let the emotions just wash over me. I never dreamed that being pops! could be so much fun.

And then there is Brendan's grandmother, Jadda. My little buddy has REALLY fallen for Jadda. His face really lights up when Jadda walks in the room. He has learned her name. It really makes me happy to hear my little buddy say "Ja-Da". My love for Jadda has also deepened as I watch her interact with Brendan. After 30 years I didn't think I could love her any more than I did, but I was wrong. I love her more. And as I am writing this I figured out why Brendan is so special to me. He has helped me deepen my love for those around me. I have come to understand even more and even in a deeper way loving is all about. Can I explain it? Nope, but I can sure feel it and it is now so much deeper than it ever was before. Thanks Brendan.

pops!

No comments: